Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oliver and Moline

Len Ames sent an email and pictures of Ollie.
So I decided to share pictures of Moline--my
Feist and full brother to Ollie. Ollie and Mo
are out of Dobs and Shooter. They both have
great confirmation and both are real lookers.
Thanks, Len, for the update on Ollie and sounds
like you are doing pretty good with his training.




Good Morning Mr. and Mrs. Renfroe!
Ollie is doing well, is healthy and happy here in Texas!
I have been keeping him in the woods as much as possible,
and he has started ranging out and exploring on his own.
I took him out this morning (Nate's cousins are here
from south Louisiana and he didn't want to go with us)
and we went to some public hunting land that is often
overrun with deer and duck hunters. I duck hunt there
quite often and know that the hardwoods around the lake
hold a bunch of squirrels.
It was warm this morning, and there was not another
vehicle out there. Ollie and I walked around for about
an hour, and although I saw several squirrels on the ground,
they were gone before Ollie saw them. (This place has been
getting select cut over the last several weeks, and Ollie
can't see very far in most places).
Every time I drive in and out of this place, I always see
squirrels running across the dirt road as my truck approaches.
I was getting a little frustrated that I couldn't put Ollie
on anything so I decided to walk the road with him. I hoped
we could jump some squirrels and let him get a good look
at them. We hadn't gone 50 yards when a gray squirrel
darted across the road, and Ollie was off in hot pursuit.
The squirrel made it to a huge oak with lots of hollows
and Ollie was a bit confused for a second, but he began
sniffing around and looking up. He milled around for a
minute while I looked for the squirrel, but I never
found it. About 25 yards later Ollie another gray
took off and Ollie gave chase again. This time he
seemed to know what was going on a little more and
immediately looked up. He gave a quick bark, and
I congratulated him. I would have shot the squirrel
out, but I just couldn't find it.
I don't know if walking him down the road was a good idea
in the long run (any thoughts?), but I was very excited
about him being able to see some squirrels and watching
him get worked up about them. We tried a few more
places on our way some, but didn't see any more.

Here are some pictures-
1. He loves running on fallen logs
2. Trying to figure out where the first squirrel went
3. Looking up and about to bark at the second squirrel

I am so proud to have a Galla Creek dog, I'm pretty sure
he's idiot proof!

Take care, talk to you again soon
Merry Christmas!
Len

No comments: