Saturday, June 27, 2009

Feist Orphans Foster Dad

Jo Ellingson sent this story about their Feist who had a litter of pups and then passed away. Jo had to raise them by hand but her Min Pin helped take care of the litter--and he is a male dog. We thought the story was neat and wanted to share the tale.
I wanted to tell you and Betty about the accident that left me raising four pups on a bottle. my Min-Pin named Tater goes outside in the big pen a few hours every day. he played with my Mountain Fiest named Kelly. We thought he was too young to breed, but boy were we wrong. The weekend Larry was going to bring Kelly to breed at your kennel, she had gone out of heat. Larry just thought he had figured wrong and missed her. Lo and behold, she showed she was expecting a week before they arrived.She was always fat and didn't have much of a bag this time.

Anyway four puppies arrived and one looks just like his dad. One looks like Kelly and the runt was sickly. It developed a week behind the others in every way including opening her eyes. We call them Tater Babies. Kelly died when the pups were nine days old. I raised them on bottle. Ironicly we had Tater neutered a week or two evidently, after they bred. He has taken his pups and helped raise them, licking and loving them like their mom would. at first he didn,t want anyone but me around thme. I had brought Kelly and them into the house after they were born to keep them cool. Tater took over her bed and became an exceptional father.

Kelly was daughter of Maroney's Slick that we had gotten till his death. Kelly's mom was
Butch Clauses's Lady. Kelly was the grandmother of the pups you got from us.

Tater's babies are seven weeks old today. Mouse, the runt has been to the vet. twice, but
she is okay. I amkeeping her and giving the others away. I miss Kelly greatly. She loved
to go fishing with me.

Just wanted you to know about a good dog, a
mountain feist, and how the Min-Pin, Tater,
helped me get through a rough time.



Sad, but Thankful to be so blessed,

Jo Ellingson

No comments: