Monday, June 21, 2010

Jed Saves the Bird

Or--Rescue Dog Double Birdies?

We heard from the Barbara Bogomolov of St. Louis. The Bogomolovs are proud owners of Galla Creek Jed, full brother to Spud. They also have horses, other dogs, and one famous bird. We were a little afraid that Jed might devour the bird but they were soon buddies sharing the same space in the universe! Read the story of how Jed saves the Bird from Barbara!
Our Jed saved the day today! Misha and his animal troops had just left the barn after feeding Twister his grain when something startled Sam and the parrot flew from my husband's shoulder into a tree. Jed (and Harvey ) stood by quietly as Misha tried to coach Sam down. When that failed Misha and the dogs came up to the house to get me. By the time we got back...perhaps 10 minutes the tree was empty and there was no response to my calls . Feeling sick and fearing the worst (we have a very active neighborhood hawk ) we spread out whistling for Sam. I thought I heard a return call and headed toward it when Jed, who had been with Misha about 50 yards away on the other side of the barn) suddenly streaked past me moving like an arrow. He went about 30 feet deeper into the woods where I could barely make out his white coat and began his "have I got a perfect squirrel for you! " bark. Misha said, "Ignore him...that is his squirrel bark." But I thought about it only a second and then worked my way around to the place. Jed gave me one relieved look then went back to barking. I stood and looked up but only saw leaves. But then came a clear sound of a microwave oven going off, which is Sam's all purpose distress signal. Sure enough, Jed had found Sam. I whistled Sam down and he was one thoroughly shook conure. Jed immediately stopped barking and led us triumphantly back to the barn. Needless to say, Jed got a very special breakfast and Sam got his wings clipped. That is the only time we have heard his squirrel bark for anything but an actual squirrel. Amazing dog!
Barbara



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jed is very lucky to have them & they are very lucky to have Jed. Great pairing Larry! Sherry V.