Sunday, September 09, 2012

Using A Check Cord

If you don't take time to bond with your Feist, when you decide to start working with them, they may not want to come to you. This is when I use a check cord. I make mine out of a good snap and heavy weed eater cord. Let your dog out of pen, put the check cord on their collar and start working with them getting them to come. If they don't come to you voluntarily, pull them to you using the check cord, then praise, praise, praise! I have left Sarge in the pen for too long with little interaction with me. Today, I put his friend Pearl on a zip line. (She is out of Sadie X Tie. Siggie was calling her Layla, but I am going to name her Pearl as it goes with Opal and she looks a lot like Opal who is her Grandmother). I am going to let Sarge run free for 10 days then switch and let Pearl be unpenned for 10 days.

It did not take me long to see I could take the check cord off Sarge. He continued to come to me on command. I am also working with him speaking on command. He did it once today. I cut up one hot dog and when he would come I gave him one piece. Out of the hot dog I probably had 20 little pieces. He is coming to me and is loving running free.

Most of the problems that develop with dogs are our own mistakes. Most of these can be corrected with loving care.

Galla Creek Zeppelin AKA Sarge is smart and really nice looking. I am looking forward to training Pearl and Sarge this season. Neither will be for sale as they will be replacements for the Kennel.





No comments: